Monday, September 6, 2010

Politics is the art of the scummy and the undoable

Got a minute?

I grew up fascinated by politics, and there were certainly times in my youth that I dreamed of a political career.

I never saw myself as president. Even my ego wouldn't reach that far, but I did see myself as a senator from whatever state I ended up in.

Well, politics wound up being something I never tried. The last time I stood for election was in 1980, when I ran for president of my fraternity. I won that election, but I have never run for anything since.

The problem with politics is the type of people it attracts and the compromises they have to make to be elected. No matter who runs and who wins, we seem always to end up voting for the lesser of two evils.

And the lesser of two evils is still evil.

I go back to that old saying -- "Put not your trust in princes" -- and suggest that anyone looking for politicians to change their life, whether it's an Obama or a Reagan or a Palin, is going to be disappointed time and time again.

Work in your own community.

Work to make your life and the lives of those around you better. You'll accomplish more than any 10 politicians.

Thanks for the minute.

No comments:

Post a Comment