Saturday, September 11, 2010

Time to look to the future, not to the past

Got a minute?

Of course today is Sept. 11th, which makes it the anniversary of the attacks on New York and Washington nine years ago.

To be honest, I'm not sure why we're making such a big deal out of them. It disturbs me that we have become a nation that spends so much time obsessing on the past.

But we sure do, don't we?

We have millions of people in this country for whom history stopped nine years ago today, and everything that has happened in the world since then has been in reaction to those attacks.

I'm not talking about the families who lost loved ones.

I'm talking about the folks for whom 911 and Islamophobia fits perfectly into their world view, and I don't have much use for those people.

We used to be a country that looked ahead.

We need to start doing that again.

Thanks for that minute.

No comments:

Post a Comment