Saturday, August 28, 2010

It's challenging yourself that helps you stay young

Got a minute?

One of the things that makes an awful lot of people very unhappy in the long run is that they stop learning. They stop challenging themselves to acquire new skills, to amass knowledge about new subjects.

My new surfboard
I'm planning to challenge myself in two ways. I have written previously on my other blog, One Voice, about the fact that I'm learning to surf at age 60. The first used board I picked up was too small as 6 1/2 feet, so I ditched it and acquired another previously owned one that's 8 feet long and significantly heavier.

I'm running out of time now that I'm down to my last few months living in California, but I've vowed that I will be able to stand up and ride at least one wave before we move to Georgia.

The other challenge is going to be gardening. I'm doing a lot of reading and planning with the goal of devoting half of our new backyard to growing fruits and vegtables.

I may be growing older, but I'm never going to be an old man.

Thanks for the minute.

No comments:

Post a Comment