Monday, August 23, 2010

You can do things that matter to others

Got a minute?

Most of us know there are a lot of things wrong with the world, but most of us are so overwhelmed by the scope of those problems that we think we couldn't possibly do anything that would matter.

Wrong. There are all sorts of things you can do.

Try something for the next few days. Try smiling at everyone you encounter, try wishing people "Good morning" or "Have a great day" instead of just passing them by. You will literally be amazed at how many people smile back at you and respond to your kindness, and you will be surprised at how good it makes you feel.

When I was in Texas, I was shopping at a Best Buy store on the outskirts of San Antonio. The cashier was a young guy who was practically crying when I came up to check out. I asked him what was wrong, and he told me it was his first day and his previous customer had been in a terrible mood. He had berated the young cashier for being slow and had told him he was incompetent.

I said he shouldn't worry, that what had happened was more about the customer than it was about him. When my transaction was completed, I told him he had done a great job and that I hoped he had a great day. As I left the store, he was smiling.

I made a difference to that one.

Thanks for the minute.

No comments:

Post a Comment