Thursday, August 26, 2010

Sometimes dignity is all you can hang onto

Got a minute?

I don't know sometimes if I'm extremely lucky or extremely unlucky.

Back in the day.
I loved the nearly 30 years I spent as a journalist, and I miss the fact that I'm not working -- or making any money -- anymore. But every time my friend Mick tells me about some of the angst he has to undergo from his bosses at two community colleges, I find myself feeling very blessed that I no longer have to follow anyone's orders.

It's really a shame that so many people these days feel the need to remind their employees how much power they hold over them. In my penultimate confrontation with my last boss, the unfortunate Steve Lambert couldn't stop shouting at me that he was my boss.

In the end, though, once I realized he had decided to fire me, he had lost all his power. I was able to walk out of the office with my dignity intact.

Sometimes that's all you can take with you when you leave.

Thanks for the minute.

No comments:

Post a Comment