Tuesday, August 31, 2010

Walking isn't high impact, but it certainly works

Got a minute?

I've been thinking lately about the old joke about the guy whose doctor told him to run two miles a day. A week later, he called the doctor and told him he had followed the advice.

"What's the problem?" the doctor asked.

"Well, I'm 14 miles from home."

Walking down Honolulu Avenue
That's not my problem. I don't run, and unlike former President Calvin Coolidge, who made history by saying he would not run in 1928, I don't plan ever to run again.

I do walk, though, and I spend 2-3 hours almost every day wearing out a pair of Nikes. Since I returned home from Texas 45 days ago, there has been only one day that I didn't walk.

Since I walk an average of at least 5 miles a day, I think that means I have probably walked about 220 miles.

That's more than halfway to Sacramento if I was heading north and nearly to the state line if I were heading east. South would take me into Mexico, and if I had headed west, I would have been swimming for the last 185 miles or so.

It's not the highest impact exercise, but it is working. I've lost 26 pounds since returning home, which makes my total weight loss 93 pounds in a little more than four months.

I highly recommend it.

Thanks for the minute.

No comments:

Post a Comment