Tuesday, August 24, 2010

Television is a complete waste of time

Got a minute?

Is there anything that's a bigger waste of your time than watching television?

Whether it's the mindless swill that makes up so much of network programming or what passes for news on the networks and the cable channels, I don't think I can name one positive thing about watching a lot of television.

To be fair, I watch quite a few movies on DVDs, and there are at least a few series that I will watch at my own pace by picking up a season on DVD.

But I have reached a point in my life when I absolutely refuse to sit through any advertising -- so much of it is ridiculously inane -- and I haven't watched any "television news" for nearly 20 years, except in the case of certain events.

I watched on Sept. 11, 2001.

I watched -- a little -- on election night in 2000, 2004 and 2008.

But I've learned too much about the subtle ways in which television changes people, including the actual passivity it introduces into your brain. I am thrilled -- yes, thrilled -- that both of my children plan to raise their children with severely limited amounts of television.

If I know one thing, I know those kids will grow up smart.

Thanks for the minute.

No comments:

Post a Comment